I woke up
with a throbbing pain in the area of my lower left rib cage. I must have slept oddly, I thought. As I
tried to stretch my left side, the pain became more prominent and concentrated
to what seemed like a ball of muscle.
I was going
to my first Pitt Football game and didn’t want to miss out because of a small
problem. Figuring, that it was just a tight muscle or something similar, I
crawled out of bed, knowing the ache would subside throughout the day.
As my
friends and I made our way to the front gates of Heinz Field, my pain was
virtually non-existent. I was able to enjoy the first half of the game
comfortably until we reached half time. My friend, Liz, and I were enjoying a
good laugh and as I settled into a hearty and loud laugh, the searing pain
ripped through my side. I hunched over immediately, scared that I had something
seriously wrong with me. I sat down and tried to relax the rest of the game but
the pain struck every time I sneezed or chuckled.
At the end
of the game, we met up with other friends. “Why are you holding your side,”
Rachel asked? I explained to her what I had gone through that day. Rachel and
Liz looked at each other warningly. “Sounds like appendicitis.”
My heart dropped and I immediately
went to webmd.com looking for symptoms that compared to mine. Hospitals are
uncomfortable for me and I do whatever I can to prevent visiting. Nothing
seemed to match up other than the pain. So I decided to once again ignore
looking for further help.
As the night drew on, though, the
pain was unwavering. I could not stop thinking that I could have appendicitis,
but I was so terrified to go to the hospital because I thought I would need
immediate surgery.
Around 11:30 p.m., as I lay in bed
with an unbelievable amount of pain, I had a conversation with my mom, who
thought it was best that I get checked out. With tears running down my face, I
called Liz who promised to drive my to the E.R.
Once at Magee Women’s Hospital,
they checked me in and had me doing the basic tests immediately. When the
doctor sat down and began talking with me he seemed confused. He sent me for an
x-ray, which came back with no sign of any disturbances.
After two hour of sitting in an
isolated room, the doctor came back with no answer. “We can’t seem to find
anything wrong, you don’t have any ruptures or bruises. I’m going to call in a
prescription that’s slightly stronger then Advil.”
I was in shock. I left the hospital
upset and exhausted. I felt like the doctor did not do their job. When I woke
up the next day, even though the pain was virtually gone, I did not want to
return for another visit.
Explanation/Reflection
Waking up with a pain I had never experienced
had me panic a little but as a person who’s scared of hospitals, it is easier
to ignore something then have want immediate attention.
I knew the pain was actually
something to worry about when I could not even laugh or breathe deeply with a
whole new wave of pain hitting me. Listening to my friend’s diagnosis was
probably not the best thing because it just sent me into a whole new stress
level. However, it is hard to ignore an idea when I had no idea what was
happening.
After going to the hospital, I
expected to have them know exactly what was wrong with me. Looking back, I know
that may not be always possible, but I still feel like he did not do his best.
I received two tests and was told that there was no issue even though I felt
such a large amount of pain. It made me not trust that doctor and I have
promised myself that I will not return to that hospital again.
What I learned from this experience
is, first, not to wait to get medical attention. Maybe if I would have gone
when the pain was severe they could have done something for me. Also, I learned
that there are different types of communication in healthcare. I always thought
the caregiver would be interested in my entire health (mind, body, etc.) and do
whatever they could to find a cure for whatever problem I have. That is not
always the case, though. Sometimes they just don’t have to power or evidence to
help every medical issue that comes across their table.
No comments:
Post a Comment